Sunday, March 17, 2013

Repurposing Thrift Store Finds

I normally do not shop at thrift stores because I have this thing about wearing other people's clothes or sitting on someone else's couch.  But for costumes, I definitely check them out first.  

My girl friend and I hosted a costume party with a 50's theme, and we went hunting at thrift stores and eventually found a few dresses that I could turn them into something 50's.





Unfortunately I did not take before pictures of the dresses..... :( so I will do my best to describe them in words.


This was kind of a before picture lol it was a size 18 short sleeves dress in green with black dots

Down sized it to a 14 and made it into a halter dress instead


Added black fabric at the bottom of the dress

Added a belt to the dress, and this is the finished dress



Second dress was made from two different dresses, one silver dress with buttons in the front, and a blue chiffon'ish dress.

i made the silver dress tighter and switched the front and back.  So the buttons are on the back and sewed the blue sleeves and belt onto the silver dress


This was the easiest dress to alter, just had to tighten it a tiny bit and add a belt


And my dress was a size 24 short sleeve dress that i had to downsize to size 6 and made a square neckline

Here is me and my friend in her silver and blue dress (and fake pearls!!!)


Second left was the dress with the red belt (unfortunately she covered it up with a jacket), then my friend in silver and blue dress, my friend in the green halter dress, and Me!




5 comments :

  1. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The text in your article seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer.
    I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know.
    The style and design look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon.
    Kudos

    Stop by my homepage; todomiguelunamuno

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! Good job! Thanks for sharing your page with us on our linky party!
    -Mama
    www.DIYMamas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I LOVE comments (who doesn't?!)

I do reply to ALL comments, either through email, reply to your site, or reply on this page.

Once again, I appreciate your comments!

Share

My Featured Blogger Post At NanaHood
NanaHood.com
MamaBuzz Sugar Bee Crafts Truly Lovely SSlinkyparty photo SSLinkyButton150X150_zps65c030f6.jpg The Patriotic Pam Adorned From Above MamaBuzz A Jennuine Life Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays Feature Consider Me Inspired Clippie Dips Featured at All My Bloggy Friends My Turn for us Photobucket PJH Designs Family Home and Life lollipops Too Much Time On My Hands Dear Creatives