Sunday, May 5, 2013

Upcycled Denim Tote

How is everyone doing with their Mother's Day gifts?  Did you buy or did you make?  

I was thinking to myself "what would mom love?"  Well, I KNOW for a fact that a tote bag is ALWAYS a good choice for moms, and since all my upcycled totes have been so well received, I knew I have to make one for my mom.




Like it? Want to make one? Read on for the tutorial :)



If you have seen my Upcycled Denim First Aid Case, then you know I used a pair of my old jeans, and to make this tote for my mom, I used the rest of that same pair of jeans




I had one leg cut and used for my First Aid case, so I have the rest to work with, which is plenty.


My Super Low Rise Levi's just aren't comfortable anymore since I am getting older and comfort is top priority for me lol 

So first, cut off the other leg (that just sounds bad doesn't it? haha)  Then cut from left inseam all the way to the right inseam through the crotch


On the back, pin an extra piece of denim (use the leg) like so 



Top stitch, mimicking the denim hem


Do the same on the other side, I like the little bit of fray this method gives, but you don't have to do the exact.



Onto the front.  Making a perfect, smooth crotch, just cut along the crotch seam, all the way to the bottom of the buttons



See? Then just top stitch along the hem lines






Turn the denim outside in and sew the bottom shut


Prepare your straps.  I bought some trim when they were on sale and I KNOW my mom will love this.  I got some black fabric (this black back piece was actually a trench coat belt that I do not use) to be sewn to the back of the trim to reinforce it






Box corner the denim 



Prepare the lining.  I added velcro to the lining because I know my mom doesn't like open bags.


I also added a pocket to the lining, perhaps for her phone.  I used a back pocket from another pair of jeans





Sew the lining, straps, and the denim all together.  This was a little tricky, I had to sew all the way to the belt loop, then stop, and start again after the loop as to not sew the loops to the bag.  If you do not want to have this hassle, you can always take the loops out.




Wondering what the little pouch is?  Read about it here.


Want to check out my other totes?  Click on the picture to get to the tutorial.



31 comments :

  1. Truly creative & very sweet for a mother's day gift. Stopping by from Manic Monday - have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love these!
    Super cute!

    I would love for you to share this and link up to my TGIF Link Party! The party is open every Friday and closes at midnight on Wednesday night. Who knows, you just might be featured next week!

    I follow back: bloglovin, Facebook, and Twitter. =)

    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-peek-into-my-paradise-tgif-link-party.html

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cathy, I will for sure link you with you

      Delete
  3. Greaat work! Love it! Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you some much Ana, and so great that you visited me all the way from Portugal!

      Delete
  4. I sure wish I could sew. I'm hosting a new linky party at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/efforts-and-assets-linky-party-1.html

    I would love to have you!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela for stopping by. I will link up with you for sure

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a cute idea! I love the detail of the tutorial. This would be perfect to link-up to my new series - "Create It Thursday." It's live now! http://www.lambertslately.com/2013/05/create-it-thursday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute and a real good tutorial. Thanks for sharing this on the Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, I will be making one of these!

    Visiting from Diana Rambles and now following!

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! A new Linking Party begins THIS Saturday over at Thet2women.com and we would love if you would link this up there on Sat! Thanks! Here's the link:
    http://thet2women.com/welcome-to-one-sharendipity-place/

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cool way to keep your fave jeans even if they are too old or no longer fit!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute!! Thank you for participating at SHOW-licious Craft Showcase!!

    Marti
    http://sew-licious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh for cute and thrifty! Thanks for the cool inspiration and tutorial. Love the hidden pocket idea! Lynaea @ EveryDayBloom.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great way to upcycle :) We can't wait to see what you share at tomorrow's All My Bloggy Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great gift for your mom. I bet she loved it! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tote. Lots of room. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. We can't wait to see what you have for us this week. The party starts at 8:00PM tonight.
    Debi and Charly

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love to make one for my daughter! I appreciate you sharing how you made it! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great re-purpose I love that you shared how to! Thanks for sharing & linking up at DearCreatives.com Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just pinned this and it will be posted on Facebook as one of this weeks Freedom Fridays Features!! Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays!

    Hugs

    http://www.myturnforus.com/2013/05/freedom-friday-54.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I LOVE comments (who doesn't?!)

I do reply to ALL comments, either through email, reply to your site, or reply on this page.

Once again, I appreciate your comments!

Share

My Featured Blogger Post At NanaHood
NanaHood.com
MamaBuzz Sugar Bee Crafts Truly Lovely SSlinkyparty photo SSLinkyButton150X150_zps65c030f6.jpg The Patriotic Pam Adorned From Above MamaBuzz A Jennuine Life Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays Feature Consider Me Inspired Clippie Dips Featured at All My Bloggy Friends My Turn for us Photobucket PJH Designs Family Home and Life lollipops Too Much Time On My Hands Dear Creatives