Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Upcycled Denim Purse

My mom is not a big purse lady, she prefers small, light weight purses.  I have made a handbag for her before, but the fabric is too casual for her to carry to a more serious gathering.

So I decided to make her a fancier but not too fancy purse.





Let's see how I made it.




Cut a dark pair of jeans like this


For this purse, I did not want to keep the button and zipper, so I cut it off like this.  You can keep it if you wish.



Unstitch the waist band



Got a shiny belt buckle for closure.  And purse handles.  I also cut a few pieces of denim for the back and bottom.  Do some measurements to determine what you need.





Make the belt to be fed sewn onto the purse to secure the belt buckle 


Put an eyelet in the middle


Sew the front denim pieces together.  (the two parts from front of jeans after cutting out the zipper)


Sew it half way down, stopping right before the eyelet, onto the denim front.  Feed it through the belt buckle, then finish sewing it onto the denim front.  



Then sew the rest of the denim pieces together to form a large piece of fabric.  



Later, you will fold this in half and sew the sides shut with boxed corners.  Now prepare some sturdy fabric, you can either use fusible interfacing, or really tough fabric, I chose a piece of canvas, and some batting.  



Layer all the fabrics together and sew them at the sides, with right sides together



Make boxed corners



Then prepare your lining (I forgot to take pictures, but I sewed the two back pockets on the lining)


Baste the top of purse to keep all layers in place



Here is the tricky part, I wanted to keep all the belt loops, so I sewed the loops onto the waist band first.  Then sewed the four straps that will be holding the purse handles onto the waist band, but only on one side first.



Now it's time to make the belt that will be used to close to purse through the belt buckle




Pin the all the fabric, along with the belt inside the waist band.



Feed the straps (the purse handle straps) through the purse handles then pin them in place



Time to use denim needle to sew this sucker!  (I learned it the hard way.....)



Here is an inside shot with the two back pockets







28 comments :

  1. Hi Mandy! I'm already a G+ follower, but I'm now following on GFC and Bloglovin'!

    I'd love a follow back when you can :))

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute project! Love this bag!Thanks for sharing tutorial!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are sooo good at this! Thanks for linking with HickoryTrail
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute and it's a great tutorial. I saw it at the Gathering Spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet bag and I love the lining fabric. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! I love the pockets in the front. Thanks so much for linking up with us at Pin It Tuesday! Hope to see more from you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. visiting from southern lovely. This is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another brilliant upcycle Mandy! I love seeing your creations each week! They inspire me!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great clear tutorial! And a cute bag!

    Popping over from the And Sew We Crafty Together Linky

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out super cute!! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous bag! I love the fabric you used on the inside too! You did a great job upcycling jeans! Thanks for linking up @ Submarine Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I'm sure you mom loves it too. I’m so glad you chose to share your jean purse at the Rock ‘N Share! Have a great weekend! Blessings, D@TheShadyPorch

    ReplyDelete
  13. I featured your fabulous bag!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/05/submarine-sunday-32.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!
    I looove this purse! I will try to make one :)
    Thanks for sharing, Paula!
    I am your follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great tutorial :)

    Love your bag :) Thanks for sharing it with us at the weekend blog hop

    Clairejustineoxox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this!! There’s a new LINK-UP Party going on at thet2women.com and we would love to feature your post!! Here’s the link: http://thet2women.com/welcome-to-one-sharendipity-place-link-up-2/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness!!! Totally awesome. I wish I could sew like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow.............Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Loved the idea,Thanks for sharing such a wounderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great idea.
    www.crochetdreamz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mandy that is a lovely purse. Love the lining fabric and I know your Mother loved it too. Thanks for joining us this week at Transformed Tuesday.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE this and PINned your post to our Pinterest board!! Thanks for linking up with us a One Sharendipity Place this weekend!!

    sue

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're like a denim upcycling machine! Awesome! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  23. cutest denim purse I ever did see. Featuring this tonight on Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute! Thank you so much for sharing at last week's All My Bloggy Friends :) I can't wait to see what you share this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Mandy,You are being featured on my blog tomorrow! Thanks for linking up & sharing on DearCreatives.com Come by tomorrow & grab your featured button! Or email me & I can send it to you!Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this! Saw the feature on Dear Creatives. :-) Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I love this bag Mandy! Thanks for sharing your tutorial at my Say G'Day Saturday linky party.

    Hope you can join in again this weekend.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful tutorial! I loved the outcome!
    Great post!! I included it in my post Βόλτα στη Γειτονιά!!! ...while sewing!! :)
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I LOVE comments (who doesn't?!)

I do reply to ALL comments, either through email, reply to your site, or reply on this page.

Once again, I appreciate your comments!

Share

My Featured Blogger Post At NanaHood
NanaHood.com
MamaBuzz Sugar Bee Crafts Truly Lovely SSlinkyparty photo SSLinkyButton150X150_zps65c030f6.jpg The Patriotic Pam Adorned From Above MamaBuzz A Jennuine Life Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays Feature Consider Me Inspired Clippie Dips Featured at All My Bloggy Friends My Turn for us Photobucket PJH Designs Family Home and Life lollipops Too Much Time On My Hands Dear Creatives