Saturday, April 13, 2013

Upcycled Denim First-Aid Case

After making the first two gifts for my friend, I have one more gift that I wanted to make (since I still have some more of that pretty fabric left)

If you want to check out the first two gifts, here are the links:



Ok, let's see what this little project looks like!




Time to check out how I made this



First I must give credit to Amy over at Positively Splendid for giving me this idea of making a first-aid kit.  But for my First-Aid case, I did not follow her directions or dimensions because I wanted even more pockets and bigger, and mainly because I happened to have a piece of that pretty fabric in a specific size and I just did not want to WASTE any of it. lol So I made mine to fit the fabric, yes, yes, yes, I am quite silly @_@

Alright, alright, let's get to it.

First, cut fabric.  One piece of that pretty fabric (already a rectangular piece), and one piece of denim cut to the same size



Then, cut two pieces of denim, one wider than the other by 1.5 inches. (or however much wider you want)


Fold the seam in and press on both sides - length wise (this is because no lining will be added)


Then top stitch both denim pieces like so. I like using contrasting thread. 


Now, layer the narrower denim piece on top of the wider piece, and top stitch in the middle


Then do some measurements (it depends on how big you want your pockets be) mine are 1.5 inches wide, but the last two on the right are very small, approximately 0.5 inches wide (what are those little pockets for? you will see) 


Do the same for the other side too.




Now onto the big piece.  First I embroidered onto one end of the denim piece.




Made my own ties.  I happened to have this half made sitting in a basket, so I just finished it up.



Then I sewed these ties onto the side of the back piece to my embroidered side




Then, I sewed the big piece of denim and the pretty fabric together at the embroidered side, right sides together, and added the straps in the middle




Then, sewed the pockets onto the pretty fabric at the left, right and bottom, also sewed the middle line all the way to the top edge of the back pocket piece.  Do the same to the left and right sides to create the big pockets.  Note: the pockets are only sewn onto the lining fabric, not all the way through the outer (denim) fabric.


After that, sewed the outer fabric and the lining with pockets right sides together at the top and bottom ,leaving the left side (in this picture) open.  Then turned it inside out, and sewed the left side shut.



Next step is to fill it!  I bought a mini First Aid kit at Target and put the content in the pockets, along with super glue, Chap-stick, Tums, nail kit (see?! the little pockets are perfect for them), Neosporin, Advil, hand sanitizer, Q-tips, cotton squares, and a Thermometer.








Alright, this is going to be so helpful for her since she travels alot!  Hope you enjoy this tutorial. :)



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This project is linked with the following parties:



83 comments :

  1. This is perfect for travel, and a great share! I'm visiting today from the Raising Imperfection hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw... rosey, thank you AGAIN and AGAIN for your compliments!!!

      Delete
  2. linking up from the meet and greet blog hop. very handy work. stop by fairiesmarket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love this! So cute and I would love to keep this in my car!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! What a fantastic idea!!

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Make sure to check back on Friday to see if you were featured.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! How neat is that! Super cute. Thanks for sharing this at Moonshine Monday! Please make sure and include a permalink to the party next time! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bev, thank you so much for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great little kit! Love all the little pockets! Such a lovely gift.


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great for traveling! beats the big old plastic box we have in our car. I love your fabric choice. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, thank you so much for commenting! it really is made for my friend's car, she basically lives in her car! LOL

      Delete
  9. WHOA too cute. I wish I had a sewing machine. Also, I wish I knew how to use a sewing machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany, hahaha learn how to use one isn't too difficult! hehehe

      Delete
  10. This is the cutest first aid case I've ever seen! I love the fabric you used with the denim. Wonderful job! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    T'onna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoo this is great :) thanks for sharing with us at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute and creative idea! I should make one for my daughter and your step-by-step tutorial will make things much easier :-) Thank you for sharing this at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party !

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome idea. It would make a sweet sheltering gift for someone going on vacation or a young person going to college. Thank you for such a detailed tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is adorable, and your instructions (and photos!) are clear and easy to understand. Our first aid kit -- which pretty much consists of a pair of tweezers and a few gauze bandages -- is pathetic. This would make a great gift for the kids that have flown the nest (not to mention the parents who are still at home).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your compliment! I don't even have a first aid kit so i better make a few of these for myself, friends and family. and mother's day and father's day are coming up so this will be great gifts

      Delete
  15. Great idea and great instructions. Thank you for sharing at Funday Monday!
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous, and great idea for a gift! thanks so much for joining the fun at Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara! I need to make a few more as gifts soon, mother's day is coming up, father's day....

      Delete
  17. Love this case. It's really cute! I'm stopping by and following along via the linkin' with my ladies hop. ;)
    Maria
    www.thislifesbeautifulmoments.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good tutorial, you explain it all so clearly! Everyone should have one of these kits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krystie, thank you for your complimenbt!!!! :) yes, you are right, everyone should have one, and i am gonna make a few for friends and family!

      Delete
  19. Oooh, what a cute idea!
    Please don't forget to add a link to the Falling For Friday party.

    Happy Friday!
    just love
    //kelly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic upcycling project! So fun! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute idea! We take a first aid kit with us on pretty much every trip. This would be so handy and cute, to boot!:) Much cuter than our current first aid kit. Thanks so much for linking up to Inspire Me Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... thank you Mel ^__^ now you need to make one for yourself!

      Delete
  22. I love this. What a great idea. We have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/04/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_16.html
    We hope to see you there.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debi and Charly, thank you so much for stopping by, and for the invite, i will head over and check things out! ^__^

      Delete
  23. love it! Oh how I wish I had an embroidery machine...Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, maybe you can hand embroider? lol i know i love having an embroidery machine for sure!!!

      Delete
  24. This is so great!!! I love the fabric on the inside! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am always blown away when people like you do amazing things!

    Following you from Aloha Friday.
    http://mydevotionalthoughts.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so cool Great for traveling. Thanks for sharing at The Gathering Spot this week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a wonderful idea and such a pretty way to keep your First Aide supplies. So glad you stopped by and linked up at Transformed Tuesday this week.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super cute Mandy!! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Pretty Things link party at twelveOeight this week. Hope to see you again tonight for another great party :)

    xo, Tanya
    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mandy, you have really created some fun projects. Thanks so much for sharing them with Share Your Cup.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a neat idea!!! Very useful.

    Thanks for linking up at And Sew We Craft!

    ReplyDelete
  31. We just wanted to let you know that we featured this post at this weeks Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
    Have a great week.
    Debi and Charly

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a terrific idea - looks marvelous - I know my daughter would love the style. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  33. All the fabrics are so pretty with the denim. Fabulous job :) Thanks so much for sharing with us at Weekend Wonders. Hope you're enjoying your week so far.

    ReplyDelete
  34. this is a great idea especially for those who backpack or ... so much easier to pack a roll of supplies than a hard cased first aid kit! Thanks for sharing & linking up @ DearCreatives.com hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your step by step tutorial and the fact that you are using upcycled denim. It is so cute, and is so timely for Earth Day. You are today's Dare to Share Feature of the Day.

    http://www.pamspartyandpracticaltips.com/2013/04/upcycled-denim-first-aid-case-feature.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. It's great! Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this.

    First Aid Kit Refills
    First Aid Accessories

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I LOVE comments (who doesn't?!)

I do reply to ALL comments, either through email, reply to your site, or reply on this page.

Once again, I appreciate your comments!

Share

My Featured Blogger Post At NanaHood
NanaHood.com
MamaBuzz Sugar Bee Crafts Truly Lovely SSlinkyparty photo SSLinkyButton150X150_zps65c030f6.jpg The Patriotic Pam Adorned From Above MamaBuzz A Jennuine Life Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays Feature Consider Me Inspired Clippie Dips Featured at All My Bloggy Friends My Turn for us Photobucket PJH Designs Family Home and Life lollipops Too Much Time On My Hands Dear Creatives