Monday, May 6, 2013

Upcycled Denim Apron

Mother's day is around the corner, and I have been a busy bee all week making gifts for my mom.  After a few late late nights, I finally got everything made and shipped them off to mom.  I will post each gift with tutorial throughout this week, so do keep checking in for easy projects to make.

Today, I am going to show you how I made this easy apron made from a denim shirt.   This apron is light and simple, for those moms that love to cook, this will be perfect!




Don't stop now, read on for the tutorial.



First, I had the bottom half of a denim shirt cut, with the buttons and button holes too. 



Then separate the pieces at the seams to make three denim pieces, one back, two sides



Cut out the buttons and button holes pieces like this, with seam allowance


So you will end up with apron bottom (which was the back of the shirt) and buttons and button holes pieces (which are going to be made into the neck strap)

the two side pieces (which will be made into apron top)


Line the two side pieces matching the curves and hem, right sides together and sew them together to form the apron top


You can then top stitch on the right side like this


Then fold the side edges in and stitch


Then I embroider on a piece of scrap denim to make a pocket for the apron (if you don't have the same denim, can use any other fabric for this, and you do not have to embroider)


Sew the pocket onto the apron top



Hem the buttons piece then sew the buttons piece onto the apron top, I sewed mine to the right side of the apron top since my mom is right handed and if she were to adjust the strap, the buttons on the right side will make it easier.


You can make your own ties or use ribbon, I made my own using some scrap denim.  Make sure to measure how long you need your ties to be


Pin the ties onto apron bottom at the sides like this while having all the edges folded in twice on apron bottom


Hem apron bottom


Pin apron top onto apron bottom while having the apron top's bottom edge folded in twice 


Top stitch apron top and apron bottom together



You can use ribbon for the neck strap, I made my own tie with denim.  The neck strap will be sewn together with the button holes piece


Fold in the edge of the strap and stick the button holes piece inside and sew them together


Pin and sew the neck strap onto apron top, left side



See?! The neck strap is adjustable!












Easy enough right?  :)



15 comments :

  1. That's really great, Mandy! I love it, the neck strap is the best, really...
    MammaNene

    SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandy,
    This is awesome. I love denim upcycled anything. You did a great job.
    I'm co-hosting Raising Imperfection this week and saw your bag. Again great job!
    Angel @ sewcraftyangel.blogspot.com

    PS: come visit when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been an apron person but this is super cute. I love the personalized embellishment on it too.

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I had to click on this b/c I spent most of the afternoon yesterday cutting up a stack of old denim jeans. I'm hoping to do something with them soon. :)
    Gina
    http://ginascraftcorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job, love your remakes! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love aprons and how they can be so varied. Super cute!

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Make sure to check back on Friday to see if you were featured.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that apron! I am such a fan of recycling things. Definitely pinning. Now, whose denim should I use? Perhaps, I'll look in the hubby's closet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so neat! Makes me want to learn how to sew. :) Thanks for linking up at Pin It Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! I love seeing upcycled clothing items. Found you on A Glimpse Inside. :)

    Best wishes,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute Mandy! I love it!
    Hey, have I asked you if you'd like to linked your brilliant clothes upcycling projects to my clothes upcycling project page? It has a long term linky, so your project would stay there for more than just the week of a usual linky. We have over 400 projects linked up now – some fantastic ideas.
    Do come and take a look!
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/p/clothes-upcycling-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! Thanks for linking up with me and Lish for Loves on a Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun apron! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable! I love aprons and I don't have a denim one year... May have to think about making this some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love a good repurposed project and this apron is so much fun! Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I LOVE comments (who doesn't?!)

I do reply to ALL comments, either through email, reply to your site, or reply on this page.

Once again, I appreciate your comments!

Share

My Featured Blogger Post At NanaHood
NanaHood.com
MamaBuzz Sugar Bee Crafts Truly Lovely SSlinkyparty photo SSLinkyButton150X150_zps65c030f6.jpg The Patriotic Pam Adorned From Above MamaBuzz A Jennuine Life Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays Feature Consider Me Inspired Clippie Dips Featured at All My Bloggy Friends My Turn for us Photobucket PJH Designs Family Home and Life lollipops Too Much Time On My Hands Dear Creatives