Thursday, May 9, 2013

Upcycled Military Uniform Reversible Tote

I don't know about you, but I am a little bit ADD when it comes to my creativity.  When an idea pops into my head, I will immediately go search for fabrics and have them out and start cutting, but then another idea would pop into my head and I start the process again, so I end up having a few WIPs (work in progress) lying around.  This was one of them. 



September of last year, I started cutting out some old military waterproof  pants, and then I stopped.  Then when Mother's Day approaching so quickly, I dug it out and started working on it again.  



Using a pair of hubby's cargo pants, I cut the legs off at the knees.


Separated at the crotch



Turn it inside out (or outside in, whatever haha), then sewed the sides shut (matching crotch to crotch), making it into a square (somewhat like a square, it does not really matter much if it is precise)



Box corner it


Sew straps to it.  I used an old belt that was hardly used





Prepare the military pants just like the cargo pants



I made a Velcro closure for both pieces.  Sew Velcro Hook side onto the waterproof pants' right side.  The hook part is the rough part whereas the loop is the fuzzy part.


Then you will need to make a strap.  sew a hook part on one side of the strap and loop part on the other


Sew the strap together, so one side is hook, one side is loop



Sew the strap onto the waterproof pants, opposite of the hook side like so.


See how it will close?  So make sure you have the right parts together.


Then do the same to the cargo pants.  Sew Velcro loop part onto the cargo pants, right side.  



Now, you are ready to sew everything together.  Sew cargo pants and military pants, wrong sides together



This is great for grocery shopping where mom can put produce inside with the waterproof bag so any water or juices won't leak out



If mom were to use it when it is raining, have the waterproof part on the outside to protect whatever is inside.




19 comments :

  1. It turned out great ... you do a lot of amazing things with camo!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented! I wish I could make the cool things that you do.

    Thanks for sharing your favorite post at Raising Imperfection! We feature our favorites on Friday, make sure to come back and check.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice job, Mandy :)
    Can I ask you how can you have so many denim/military pants to ucycle? Just curious!
    Hugs,
    MammaNene

    SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great way to repurpose military pants!
    Thanks for linking up for WW :))

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is really creative idea.

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are awesome! Coming from a military family, I especially appreciate this post! Thanks for sharing at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how these came out! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandy, so great! Thanks for the tutorial! Thanks for linking up to our Pattern Party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun way to recycle military clothes. Thank you for coming by and sharing this on Fluster Buster's Creative Muster Party.

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mandy! This is such a neat idea! Thanks for linking up with us on One Sharendipity Place!

    Sue @ thet2women.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these, you did a great job here :)

    Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Mondays, featuring your post this week :)

    http://www.clairejustineoxox.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute! I wish I could sew! LOL Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! Love that it's reversible! So delighted you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for linking up to Say G'Day Saturday. It's always fun to see what great ideas you come up with-this is brilliant!

    This weekend's party has just started so I hope you can join in again!

    Best wishes for a great weekend,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great project. You are so talented. I'm so glad you joined us at Transformed Tuesday.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, you make mind blowing ideas about military clothes and a spectacular article here. Last time, when I saw your site this was a little good but today I visit the web site again and find that you guys making a very smart work on the site. Today Web surfing is run very fast and a huge competition over the web is spread. So it is quite interesting. Thanks…

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I LOVE comments (who doesn't?!)

I do reply to ALL comments, either through email, reply to your site, or reply on this page.

Once again, I appreciate your comments!

Share

My Featured Blogger Post At NanaHood
NanaHood.com
MamaBuzz Sugar Bee Crafts Truly Lovely SSlinkyparty photo SSLinkyButton150X150_zps65c030f6.jpg The Patriotic Pam Adorned From Above MamaBuzz A Jennuine Life Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays Feature Consider Me Inspired Clippie Dips Featured at All My Bloggy Friends My Turn for us Photobucket PJH Designs Family Home and Life lollipops Too Much Time On My Hands Dear Creatives